HP SN6000C 8Gb Fibre Channel Switch
Data center-proven infrastructure for storage
Please visit our HPE's Servers & Storage site for the latest HPE's storage products
The SN6000C 8Gb Fabric Switch (MDS 9148)is a high-performance, flexible, cost-effective platform providing high-density, line-rate 8-Gbps ports for storage networking deployments in small, medium-sized, and large enterprise environments. The SN6000C switch offers outstanding value by providing high-availability, security, and ease of use at a cost-effective price in a compact one-rack-unit (1RU) form factor.
With the flexibility to expand from 16 to 48 ports in 8-port increments, the SN6000C offers the densities required to scale from an entry-level departmental switch to top-of-the-rack switch to edge connectivity in enterprise SANs. The SN6000C delivers a nonblocking architecture, with all 48 1/2/4/8-Gbps ports operating at line rate concurrently.
The SN6000C supports the C-series Device Manager quick configuration wizard, which allows it to be deployed quickly and easily in networks of any size. Powered by C-series MDS 9000 NX-OS Software, it includes advanced storage networking features and functions and is compatible with C-series 9500 Series Multilayer Directors and C-series MDS 9100 and 9200 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches, providing transparent, end-to-end service delivery in core-edge deployments.
Features and Benefits:
High Performance with Exceptional Flexibility
- With 8 Gb/s of dedicated bandwidth for each port and aggregate platform bandwidth of 384 Gb/s, the HP SN6000C Fibre Channel Switch is designed to meet the performance and scalability requirements of the most demanding environments.
- Compatible with existing MDS 9500 Series Directors and MDS 9100 and 9200 Series Fabric Switches with up to 48 autosensing Fibre Channel ports capable of speeds of 8, 4, 2, and 1 Gb/s.
- Flexibility to "pay as you grow" by scaling the HP SN6000C FC Switch on site by enabling additional ports by adding On-Demand Port Activation licenses.
Intelligent Storage Networking Services at a Cost-effective Price
- Supports innovative features such as VSANs, PortChannels, quality of service (QoS), SAN security, SAN management, hardware-enforced zoning, and In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) at no additional cost to the user.
- VSAN technology provides a cost-effective way to consolidate resources while providing high resiliency to potential fabric disruptions. It extends server virtualization to the SAN and storage by creating hardware-based isolated environments within a single physical SAN fabric.
- Advanced traffic management capabilities integrated into the SN6000C simplify deployment and optimization of core-edge fabrics.
- NPIV and NPV technology provides independent management for each virtual machine and scaling of SANs without reaching Fibre Channel domain ID limits. FlexAttach feature also enables transparent server deployment and movement without SAN reconfiguration.
High Availability Platform
- The HP SN6000C FC Switch is designed for mission-critical environments in which downtime is unacceptable.
- Offers non-disruptive software upgrades, dual hot-swappable power supplies (with integrated fans for redundancy), hot-swappable fans, VSANs for fault isolation, PortChannels for Inter-Switch Link (ISL) resiliency, and F-port trunking for resiliency on uplinks from a SN6000C operating in NPV mode.
- Supports SAN plug-and-play capability as well as built-in storage network management, with all features available through a command-line interface (CLI) or the C-series Fabric Manager for simplified storage management.
- Fabric Manager, available with the SN6000C provides a centralized management tool with task-based wizards that simplifies management of a standalone switch or multiple switches and fabrics at no additional cost.
- Common platform architecture and the use of MDS 9000 NX-OS Software intelligent storage networking services across all MDS 9000 Family switches reduce ongoing operating expenses by providing a consistent set of provisioning, management, and diagnostic capabilities.
|HP SN6000C 8Gb Fibre Channel Switch|
|Port speed||8-, 4-, 2-, and 1-Gbps autosensing with 8 Gbps of dedicated bandwidth per port|
|Number of ports||16-32 Fibre Channel|
|Aggregate switch bandwidth||128 Gb/s; 32-ports enabled|
|Encryption capability||AES 256-bit|
|Protocol support||Fibre Channel|
|Buffer credits||Up to 128 for a group of 4 ports, with a default of 32 buffer credits per port and a maximum of 125 buffer credits for a port|
|Ports per chassis||Up to 48 8-Gbps ports|
|Base configuration||16 ports; additional configuration for 32 ports available|
|Upgrade ports||8-port increments from any configuration with the port activation license|
|PortChannel||Up to 16 ports in a PortChannel|
|Minimum software requirements||MDS 9000 NX-OS Software Release 5.0|
|Availability features||Non-disruptive software upgrades, dual hot-swappable power supplies (with integrated fans for redundancy), and hot-swappable fans|
|Management features||Cisco MDS 9000 Family Command Line Interface (CLI), Cisco Fabric Manager with Quick Configuration Wizard, Cisco Fabric Manager Server (optional), Cisco Enterprise Package (optional)|
|Management access methods||
|Management access protocols||
|Diagnostic and Troubleshooting||
|Software (optional)||MDS 9100 Fabric Manager Server, MDS 9100 Enterprise Package|
|Dimensions and Weight|
(W x D x H)
|22.5 x 26.75 x 8.5 in|
|Temperature||Operating: 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C )
Non-operating: -40 to 158°F (-40 to 70°C)
|Humidity||Operating: 10% to 90% non-condensing at 104° F (40° C)
Non-Operating: 5% to 95% non-condensing
|Altitude||-197 to 6500 ft (-60 to 2000 m)|
|Power and Cooling|
|Power supplies||300W AC (maximum of 2 per switch)|
|AC Input||100 to 240 VAC nominal (+/-10% for full range)|
|Frequency||50 to 60 Hz nominal (+/-3 Hz for full range)|
|Maximum power consumption||
|Airflow||Rear to front (toward ports)|
|Differentiator||16 or 32-port version|
|Warranty - year(s) (parts/labor/onsite)||1/1/1|
|What's in the box||SN6000C 48-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch with (16 or 32) 8-Gb/s active ports, Dual Power Supplies, Power Cords and Fans, VSANs, PortChannels, and C-series Fabric Manager. Includes Accessory kit|
HP Technology Services:
HP Storage Services: Offering reliability, flexibility and value-just like your storage
HP Storage Services offers a full spectrum of customer care, from technology support to complex migrations to complete completely managed services. HP Factory Express provides customization, integration and deployment services for turnkey solutions. HP Education offers flexible, comprehensive training on storage networking, disk storage systems, and storage software to help your IT staff get the most out of your investments. And HP Financial solutions extend innovative financing and asset management programs to cost-effective buy, manage and eventually retire your older equipment.
HP Storage Services, the trusted business technology experts who manage your technology in action, because when technology works, business works.
NOTE: Care Pack Services availability may vary by product and country.
HP Care Pack Services are sold by HP and HP Authorized Service Partners:
- Services for customers purchasing from HP or an enterprise reseller are quoted using HP order configuration tools.
- Customers purchasing from a commercial reseller can find HP Care Pack Services at
3-year HP Support Plus 24 Service
For a higher return on your storage investment, HP Support Plus 24 provides integrated hardware and software support services designed specifically for your technology. Available 24x7, this 3-year combined reactive support option delivers onsite hardware support and over-the-phone software support aroundthe- clock. Leverage the full strength of HP Technology Services - customers can trust the services professionals at HP to work collaboratively with them, putting our strategic and technical know-how to work across their entire infrastructure.
- Improve uptime with responsive hardware and software services
- Enjoy consistent service coverage across geographically dispersed sites
- Update HP software at a predictable cost
- Increase customer satisfaction-with no interoperability gaps
For customers who are building a new SAN or expanding their existing one, we offer the HP Enhanced Implementation Service for SANs. This provides complete design and implementation services for Fibre Channel, FCOE, FCIP, SAS and iSCSI SAN connectivity components. Covering all major SAN connectivity technologies including virtual as well as physical hosts, no competitor offers a more complete end to end SAN design and implementation service, ensuring comprehensive optimal SAN connectivity tailored to your specific environment.
3-Year HP Critical Service for SANs
As an alternative to our recommended support level, for customers who want a comprehensive support solution across their SAN:
As SANs become increasingly central to your everyday business operations, maximizing uptime in these mission-critical environments poses increasingly difficult challenges. You need to resolve complex multivendor interoperability issues. You need to identify and address potential trouble spots before data availability is impaired. And you need to respond rapidly and effectively whenever problems occur.
Offering a comprehensive, robust suite of proactive and reactive services, HP Critical Service for SANs is expressly designed to help you in all these crucial areas.
Comprehensive proactive services
A team of HP Services experts works closely with you to analyze your SAN environment and maximize your SAN availability. Your SAN is thoroughly assessed for supportability. Configuration details and a topology map are recorded and used to assist in fault isolation, daily operation, and planning for future growth. In addition, your HP team helps you with firmware upgrade planning and implementation, as well as change management planning. Remote monitoring and configuration tracking using secure, real-time tools including the HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition (ISEE) Advanced Configuration framework give you an early warning of emerging SAN problems.
Your proactive support can also include a 100 percent SAN interconnectivity guarantee*. And, if you contract for Critical Service coverage for HP XP storage, you can take advantage of a 100 percent data accessibility guarantee* as well.
Fast reactive services
If a critical problem does occur, HP helps you address it quickly via single-point-of-contact problem management. You're immediately connected with HP Services support specialists, and your call receives priority status for prompt troubleshooting and resolution. Remote SAN diagnostics and reconfiguration capabilities, plus enhanced problem-escalation procedures, help you restore peak performance fast.
HP Critical Service for SANs enables you to:
- Boost business productivity through increased SAN availability
- Prevent problems through direct access to SAN expertise and hands-on assistance
- Resolve problems rapidly through single-source event-management and escalation support
- QuickSpecs HP SN6000C 8Gb Fibre Channel Switch (MDS9148)
- Service and Support and Warranty Information
- Reduce risk and improve efficiency by proactively managing changes across your SAN environment
- Improve SAN stability with firmware upgrade planning and implementation assistance
- Free your IT staff to focus on core business issues
- Alleviate the need to recruit and train SAN experts
HP Assessment Service for SANs
For customers interested in improving availability of their SAN and decreasing potential for unplanned downtime:
The HP Assessment Service for SANs offers customized technical and operational guidance to customers employing HP storage subsystems and the interconnecting storage area network (SAN) infrastructure. In a typical engagement, HP or one of our authorized business partners will perform a detailed discovery using HP's proprietary toolset to gain an understanding of the configuration of your storage devices and SAN topology.
The findings from this process will be compared to HP best practices and industry standards as defined by IT Service Management (ITSM) disciplines. The results of the evaluation will be quickly and efficiently processed into information you can leverage. This information, in the form of a comprehensive HP SAN Assessment report, will be summarized by HP or one of our authorized business partners with recommendations that are intended to improve availability levels and ongoing management of your storage and SAN environment.
Download the HP SN6000C 8Gb Fibre Channel Switch QuickSpecs (PDF).