HP SN8000B 4-slot SAN Director Switch
Data center-proven infrastructure for storage
Please visit our HPE's Servers & Storage site for the latest HPE's storage products
The HP SN8000B and DC SAN Directors are part of the B-series portfolio and are the industry's leading Fibre Channel switching infrastructure solutions, combining breakthrough performance, scalability, and energy efficiency with long-term investment protection. The SN8000B Directors were designed to unleash the full potential of private cloud storage and virtualization. With unmatched scalability, 16 Gbps performance, reliability, and functionality, the SN8000B Directors are the strategic platform for transforming current SAN fabrics into cloud-optimized SANs. For SAN fabrics not requiring the performance of the 16 Gbps platforms, the DC SAN Directors are the most advanced 8 Gbps switching platforms in the industry.
All B-series SAN Directors are based on the same core technology and consist of two form factors. The SN8000B 8-Slot Director and DC SAN Backbone Director are both a 14U chassis and support 8 Fibre Channel blades for large enterprises to deliver maximum scalability, performance, and functionality. The SN8000B 4-Slot Director and the DC04 SAN Director are both a 9U chassis and support 4 Fibre Channel blades for mid-size enterprises as the core of their SANs.
The SN8000B SAN Directors are based on 7th generation technology and provide up to 384 16Gb or 512 8Gb FC ports. These directors also provide up to 32 QSFP based Inter Chassis Links (ICLs) which are equivalent to 128 16Gb FC ports. They support a range of fibre channel blade options including 32 port and 48 port 16Gb blades, 32 port and 48 port 8Gb enhanced blades and the 64 port 8Gb blade. They provide up to 8.2Tbps of total aggregate bandwidth and 512Gbps of slot bandwidth and are the ideal foundation for private cloud storage and highly virtualized environments.
B-series SAN Directors offer multi protocol support through various blades with autosensing support, depending on model, for 16/10/8/4/2 Gbps Fibre Channel, FICON, FCIP, FCoE (not supported with SN8000B) and data at rest Encryption.
To help minimize downtime costs, all B-series SAN Directors build upon years of innovation and leverages the core B-series technology performing at greater than 99.999 percent uptime in the world's most demanding data centers.
The Power Pack+ set of tools monitors the network's health and performance. It is pre-configured on every SN8000B 8-Slot Director and DC SAN Backbone Director. It is available pre-configured or as an upgrade for every SN8000B 4-Slot Director and DC04 SAN Director. Power Pack+ also provides the foundation for integration into HP storage management tools, enabling infrastructure management through a single-pane-of-glass. Adaptive Networking is a new feature of the Power Pack+ tools which helps improve fabric behavior and ensures ample bandwidth for critical applications.
New features exclusively available on the SN8000B SAN Directors:
There is a common ICL POD (Ports on Demand) license between SN8000B 8-Slot and 4-Slot chassis. A single ICL POD license will enable 16 QSFP ICLs or 1Tbps of bandwidth in both SN8000B 8-Slot and 4-Slot Director. A subsequent ICL POD license will enable an additional 16 QSFP ICLs or 1Tbps in SN8000B 8-Slot Director. New, optional Enterprise ICL PODs will enable from five to nine chassis connected together and is added to the base ICL POD.
SN8000B SAN Directors allow customers to configure a port in any 16Gb blade at 10Gb FC speed. This is required for DWDM metro connectivity and will be enabled by a slot based 10GE license.
SN8000B SAN Directors provide features like in-flight encryption and compression as part of base Fabric Operating System (FOS) with any 16Gb blade. There are new diagnostic features (Diagnostic-Port aka D-Port, Optic Health Monitoring) that will allow functional and stress testing of cables and optics. They use the capabilities of FOS, Director ASIC, and B-series 16Gb optic and are available on 16Gb port blade with 16Gb B-series optics without any additional software license.
Features and Benefits:
Industry Leading Performance
- SN8000B SAN Director Switches feature industry-leading 16 Gb/s performance and 8.2 Tb/s chassis bandwidth to address next-generation I/O- and bandwidth-intensive applications for private cloud storage and highly virtualized environments.
- All B-series SAN Director Switches offer local switching capabilities to ensure data traffic within the same port group does not consume slot bandwidth, maximizing the number of line-rate ports.
Simplifies Scale Out Network Design
- Enables flatter, any-to-any low-latency chassis connectivity that reduces complexity and cost.
- Reduces inter-switch cables by 75 percent, reducing complexity and management tasks.
- Preserves up to 33 percent of ports for servers and storage, maximizing overall port density in the lowest amount of rack space.
Optimizes Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Enables flexible, high-speed replication solutions over metro or WAN links with native 10 Gb/s Fibre Channel or 10GbE FCIP extension support.
- Minimizes the risk of unauthorized access with in-flight data encryption at wire speed.
- Reduces bandwidth costs with in-flight data compression at wire speed.
Simplifies Deployment and Reduces Costs
- SN8000B SAN Director Switches accelerate deployment and troubleshooting tasks with new inline port diagnostics and advanced monitoring.
- Simplifies and centralizes management of server connectivity and network resources through HP SAN Network Advisor.
- SN8000B SAN Director Switches centralize fabric-wide power monitoring to support more efficient operations.
|HP SN8000B 4-slot SAN Director Switch|
|Fibre Channel ports||32 port and 48 port 16Gb and 64 port 8Gb Fibre Channel port blade options for the SN8000B SAN Directors|
|Number of ports||
|Performance||Fibre Channel: 4.25 Gbps line speed, full duplex; 8.5 Gbps line speed, full duplex; 10.53 Gbps line speed, full duplex|
|Aggregate switch bandwidth||4 Tb/s|
|Encryption capability||AES 256-bit; data-at-rest and data-in-flight|
|Protocol supported||Fibre Channel, FCIP, FICON|
|ISL Trunking||Up to eight 16 Gbps ports per ISL trunk|
|Chassis Bandwidth||4.1 Tbps per chassis (192 ports × 16 Gbps data rate + 1.024 Tbps ICL bandwidth)|
|Slot bandwidth||512 Gbps (data rate)|
|Local Switching bandwidth||
|Maximum frame size||2112-byte payload|
|Frame buffers||8192 per 16-port group on 32-port blades and up to 8192 per 24-port group on 48-port blades, dynamically allocated|
|Classes of service||Class 2, Class 3, Class F (inter-switch frames)|
|Fibre Channel Port Types||
|Data traffic types||Fabric Switches supporting unicast, multicast (255 groups), and broadcast|
|USB||1 USB port for firmware download and for Supportsave|
|Fabric services||Advanced Performance Monitoring (APM) (including Top Talkers for E_Ports, F_Ports, and Fabric mode); Adaptive Networking (Ingress Rate Limiting, Traffic Isolation, QoS); Bottleneck Detection; Advanced Zoning (default zoning, port/WWN zoning, broadcast zoning); Dynamic Fabric Provisioning (DFP); Dynamic Path Selection (DPS); Extended Fabrics; Enhanced BB credit recovery; Fabric Watch; FDMI; Frame Redirection; Frame-based Trunking; FSPF; Integrated Routing; IPoFC; ISL Trunking; Management Server; NPIV; NTP v3; Port Fencing; Registered State Change Notification (RSCN); Reliable Commit Service (RCS); Server Application Optimization (SAO); Simple Name Server (SNS); Virtual Fabrics (Logical Switch, Logical Fabric)|
|Extension||Supports DWDM, CWDM, and FC-SONET devices; Fibre Channel, in-flight compression and encryption (AESGCM- 256) BB credit recovery; FCIP, Adaptive Rate Limiting (ARL), data compression, Fast Write, read/write Tape Pipelining, QoS|
|FICON||FICON cascading; support for lossless DLS; FICON CUP; Advanced Accelerator for FICON (FICON Global Mirror and XRC emulation and read/write Tape Pipelining).|
|Availability features||Support "five nines" availability (i.e. 99.999%); Redundant hot swappable components; Redundant power and cooling subsystems; Automatic Control Processor failover; Non-disruptive "hot" software code loads and activation concurrent hardware upgrades|
|Management||HTTP, SNMP v1/v3 (FE MIB, FC Management MIB), SSH; Auditing, Syslog; Web Tools, APM, Fabric Watch; SAN Network Advisor SAN Enterprise (SN8000B and DC SAN Directors) or SAN Network Advisor SAN Professional/Professional Plus (SN8000B 4-Slot and DC04 SAN Director); Command Line Interface (CLI); SMI-S compliant; Administrative Domains; trial licenses for add-on capabilities|
|Security||AES-GCM-256 encryption on ISLs; DH-CHAP (between switches and end devices), FCAP switch authentication; FIPS 140-2 L2-compliant, HTTPS, IPsec, IP filtering, LDAP with IPv6, Port Binding, RADIUS, User-defined Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), Secure Copy (SCP), Secure RPC, SFTP, SSH v2, SSL, Switch Binding, Trusted Switch|
|Management access||10/100/1000 Ethernet (RJ-45), in-band over Fibre Channel; serial ports (RJ-45) and one USB per Control Processor blade|
|Diagnostics||D_Port offline diagnostics, including electrical/optical loopback, link traffic/latency/distance; POST and embedded online/offline diagnostics, including environmental monitoring, FCping and Pathinfo (FC traceroute), frame viewer, non-disruptive daemon restart port mirroring (SPAN port), optics health monitoring, power monitoring (16 Gbps blades-only), RAStrace logging, and Rolling Reboot Detection (RRD)|
|Dimensions and Weight|
|Ports per rack||Up to 1536 ports per 42U rack|
|Enclosure||Rear panel-to-door airflow; SN8000B 4-Slot and DC04 SAN Director ships with 1U exhaust shelf|
(W x D x H)
|44.3 x 34 x 24 in|
|Temperature||Operating: 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C )
Non-operating: -25° to 70° C (-13° to 158° F)
|Humidity||Operating: 5% to 85% non-condensing at 104° F (40° C)
Non-Operating: 0% to 93% non-condensing
|Altitude||Up to 3000 meters (9,800 feet)|
|Shock||20 g, 6 ms half-sine|
|Vibration||Operating: 0.5 g p-p, 5 to 500 to 5 Hz
Non-operating: 2.0 g, 5 to 500 Hz
|Heat Dissipation||Min: 32-port configuration (no QSFP) - 618 W, 2111 BTU/hr
Max: 192-port configuration (fully-loaded w/QSFPs) - 1195 W, 4078 BTU/hr
|Supported power range||
|Output voltages (each)||
|Maximum output power||2000 watts|
|AC inrush current||20A maximum, peak|
|Differentiator||16Gb 192-pt capable Dir., (2)control processors, (2)power supplies, USB, rackrail, cable comb, Zoning, Webtools, EGM, Pwr Pck+, BNA Ent. 90 day trial. Doesn't include Port blades/SFPs RoHS2 Compliant|
|Warranty - year(s) (parts/labor/onsite)||2/2/2|
|What's in the box||192-port capable Fibre Channel Director with 16 Gb capable performance, (2) control processors, (2) power supplies, (1) 2 GB USB Device, rack rails, cable comb Zoning, Web tools, Enhanced Group Management, Adaptive Networking, Advanced Performance Monitor, Fabric Watch, ISL Trunking, Extended Fabrics, SAO, and SAN Network Advisor Enterprise Software 90 day trial kit (separate DVD). Does not include Port blades or SFPs.|
HP Technology Services:
Tap into the HP support services advantage, to make the most of your investments. Depending on your individual support requirements, choose from three levels of support that cover your storage lifecycle.
Optimized Care: delivers best performance and stability through deployment and proactive management practices
- HP Proactive Care 24x7 - for a higher return on your storage investment, Proactive Care delivers hardware and software support services designed specifically for your technology; rapid access to Advanced Solution Center Specialists plus, Firmware/Software management and best practice advice. Customers can optimize the return on their IT investment and realize the advantage of running their business critical applications on virtualized/x86 infrastructure.
- Plus, 40 credits per year, select from an extensive menu of consultancy and technical services, such as onsite firmware upgrades, health checks, assessments, and education.
Standard Care: Maintains high level of uptime, along with expert help to cut the cost and complexity of implementation and support
- HP Proactive Care 24x7 - for a higher return on your storage investment, Proactive Care delivers hardware and software support services designed specifically for your technology; rapid access to Advanced Solution Center Specialists plus, Firmware/Software management and best practice advice. Customers can optimize the return on their IT investment and realize the advantage of running their business critical applications on virtualized/x86 infrastructure. Plus, 30 credits per year, select from an extensive menu of consultancy and technical services, such as onsite firmware upgrades, health checks, assessments, and education.
Basic Care: Delivers the minimum recommended support
- 3-Year Support Plus 24 - For a higher return on your server and storage investment, HP Support Plus 24 provides integrated hardware and software support services designed specifically for your technology. Available 24x7, this 3-year combined reactive support option delivers onsite hardware support and overthe- phone software support around-the-clock. Leverage the full strength of HP Technology Services - customers can trust the services professionals at HP to work collaboratively with them, putting our strategic and technical know-how to work across their entire infrastructure. Plus, 10 credits per year, select from an extensive menu of consultancy and technical services, such as onsite firmware upgrades, health checks, assessments, and education. Plus, 10 credits per year, select from an extensive menu of consultancy and technical services, such as onsite firmware upgrades, health checks, assessments, and education
If none of our support recommendations meet your needs, we can tailor a service solution for your unique support requirements. HP brings together deep expertise, proactive and business critical support, and a strong partner network—plus, a full set of infrastructure services designed to power a converged infrastructure.
Download the HP SN8000B and DC SAN Director Family QuickSpecs (PDF).