HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 All-flash Array
Enterprise flash for on-demand and hybrid IT
Please visit our HPE's Servers & Storage site for the latest HPE's storage products
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
Have cloud and IT-as-a-service (ITaaS) environments forced you to settle for Tier-1 storage that compromises on performance, scalability, or data protection? Are you interested in processing six times more transactions per second with 90 percent fewer disks? Do you need massive consolidation—for block and file workloads as well as object access—with assured quality of service (QoS)?
The HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage family is a new class of enterprise flash arrays for massive consolidation of your most demanding workloads, with greater than 3 million IOPS, sub-millisecond latencies,1 a 7X density advantage over the competition,2 and scalability to 15 PiB of usable capacity.3 The family’s flash-optimized architecture features the HP 3PAR Gen5 Thin Express ASIC for silicon-based hardware acceleration, including inline deduplication, thin provisioning, and other compaction technologies that can reduce acquisition and operational costs by up to 75 percent without compromising performance.
With unmatched versatility, performance, and scalability, HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage has you covered. A choice of models gives you a range of options that support true convergence of block and file protocols, all-flash array performance for $1.50 USD per gigabyte usable,5 and the use of spinning media to further optimize costs
As a result, not only does HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage accelerate business agility by boosting application performance with over 550,000 IOPS at less than 0.7 milliseconds (ms) latency, but it delivers all the enterprise-class, Tier 1 features and functionality you have come to expect from the storage platform that powers 3 of the world's 4 largest Managed Service Providers (MSPs).1 It's performance without compromise.
And it does this while delivering all the enterprise-class, Tier-1 features and functionality you have come to expect from the storage platform that powers many of the world’s largest service providers. Enhanced storage capabilities provide continuous data access and fine-grained QoS controls ensure predictable service levels to each of your applications, workloads, and tenants without physical partitioning of resources. In addition, bi-directional data mobility allows you to create virtually limitless, elastic pools of storage to support rigorous on-demand infrastructure
With support for asynchronous streaming replication, you’ll be able to dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of data protection with disaster recovery that can be set up and tested in only minutes and is supported across all models in the HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage family (figure 1). HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 also supports flat backup to HP StoreOnce Backup appliances for simple and efficient data protection that eliminates traditional backup processes.
Features and Benefits:
Scalable - to meet growing enterprise requirements
- Scale capacity up to 6 PiB raw and 15 PiB usable with up to eight controllers in a Mesh-Active cluster
- Reduce performance bottlenecks with flash-optimized hardware and software for greater than 3 million IOPS at sub-millisecond latencies
- Lower the cost of all-flash to $1.50 USD per GB usable without sacrificing performance
- Achieve a 7X density advantage or more with 5.5 PiB of usable capacity in a single expansion rack
- Cut capacity requirements 75 percent without sacrificing performance
Flexible - to meet unpredictable business demands
- Support the most rigorous, on-demand infrastructure with a virtually limitless, elastic pool of storage
- Run workloads at the right cost and SLA with one-click workload balancing
- Slash management overhead with unified management of block, file, and object access and storage that is self-configuring, self-provisioning, and self-optimizing
Resilient - so you can consolidate with confidence
- Maintain high availability and Tier-1 resiliency with a complete set of persistent technologies
- Deliver consistent QoS with HP 3PAR Priority Optimization Software
- Achieve application-integrated recovery with near-synchronous RPOs
- Protect against unauthorized access with Data-at-Rest Encryption
- Simplify backup and restore with HP StoreOnce Recover Manager Central for application-aware, storage-integrated data protection
Futureproof - to support hybrid and on‑demand computing
- Modernize your EMC and HDS storage infrastructure with painless, no-cost data migration
- Seamlessly move data between any model HP 3PAR StoreServ array
- Boost flash performance by 35 percent and reduce latency by 2.5X with 16 Gbps Fibre Channel
The flash-optimized architecture behind the performance
HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage removes the bottlenecks that prevent legacy storage from taking full advantage of flash-based media. This is the driving force that allows the HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 all-flash array to deliver 5X accelerated performance over storage that uses hard disk drives (HDDs) while delivering extremely low latency. This flash-optimized architecture relies on several new and unique HP 3PAR StoreServ innovations:
- Unique, clustered, Mesh-Active architecture (figure 2): Up to eight controllers form a Mesh-Active cluster based on a unique system of controller node interconnects. Unlike traditional “Active-Active” architectures, this clustered design delivers robust, load-balanced performance, and greater headroom for cost-effective scalability that overcomes the tradeoffs typically associated with modular and monolithic storage.
- HP 3PAR Gen5 Thin Express ASIC: Supports mixed workloads and enables thin technologies including inline deduplication with high performance levels to alleviate legacy storage performance concerns. The Thin Express ASIC supports mixed workloads with extremely high performance levels so that transaction- and throughput-intensive workloads run on the same storage resources without contention, enabling consolidation without compromise.
- Adaptive read and write technology: Matches host I/O size reads and writes to flash media at a granular level to avoid unnecessary data reads and writes to reduce latency, enhance backend performance, and extend flash media lifespan to lower the total cost of ownership (TCO) for storage.
- Autonomic cache offload: Reduces cache bottlenecks by automatically changing the frequency at which data is offloaded from cache to flash media based on utilization rate. This helps achieve consistently high performance levels as you scale up the workload to millions of IOPS.
- Multi-tenant I/O processing: Enables performance improvement for mixed workloads or virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) deployments by breaking large I/O into smaller chunks so that small read requests don’t get held up behind larger I/O requests, which helps ensure reduced latency.
The benefits of the HP 3PAR StoreServ flash-optimized architecture
Flexible—to meet unpredictable business demands
Meet the needs of today’s dynamic applications with the ability to move data and workloads not just between tiers, but between arrays—without impact to applications, users, or services. With HP 3PAR 20000 StoreServ Storage, you get rich storage federation capabilities, such as bi-directional data mobility. With this capability, you get the agility and flexibility to run workloads at the right cost and service level with one-click workload rebalancing (figure 3).
- Non-disruptively shift data between HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage enterprise flash arrays and any other HP 3PAR StoreServ array without additional management layers, appliances, or overhead impact to host resources.
- Map workloads to the right resources and establish tiers of storage across a data center for different SLAs.
- Lower costs and manage capacity at a data center level by thinly provisioning volumes with the freedom to non-disruptively move data between systems.
Flexible management that’s so simple, it’s autonomic
HP 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) offers a modern look and consistent feel for all HP 3PAR StoreServ arrays, making management effortless. Flexibly manage block, file, and object access from a single interface serving diverse workloads. All the information you need at a glance with customizable reporting capabilities remove the need for add-on software tools, as well as diagnosis and troubleshooting that typically require professional services.
Assess what’s happening across the entire data center in seconds via a simple dashboard and you are just one click away from collecting configuration and health information on any resource. Historical performance and capacity reports are also accessible with one click via HP 3PAR System Reporter to help you optimize and plan future configuration changes to improve infrastructure investments.
Storage customized for your applications
Your critical business infrastructure and applications require a single storage infrastructure that can deliver the service levels, application availability, and efficiencies that your business requires. HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage allows you to consolidate applications onto a single, high-performance system, giving your business the flexibility to meet changing business needs, on demand.
Get more out of your virtualization deployment
HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage is built to deliver performance that exceeds even the most stringent application demands along with transformative levels of simplicity, agility, and efficiency. Integration with Microsoft® System Center and VMware® vCenter, gives you enhanced visibility into storage resources and precise insight into how VMs are mapped to datastores and system volumes. Support for VMware Virtual Volumes (vVols) enables granular VM-level storage control, disaster recovery, and QoS in environments with VMware vSphere 6.
Integration with VMware vSphere API for Array Integration (VAAI), VMware vStorage APIs for Storage Awareness (VASA), Microsoft Offload Data Transfer (ODX), and thin provisioning enable HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to improve virtual infrastructure performance, efficiency, and scalability. Low latency levels allow you to get more out of your VMware deployment, where extensive use of virtual memory pages to disk can limit VM consolidation on physical servers when paired with legacy storage. By contrast, deploying HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage enables you to double VM density on your physical servers—guaranteed.
If you are looking for virtually instant application-consistent backups for your VMware environment, look no further than rapid and granular backup and recovery with HP StoreOnce Backup. With HP StoreOnce Recovery Manager Central, you get fast, efficient, flat backup from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to HP StoreOnce Backup. This solution transforms traditional approaches to backup and recovery, giving you application-aware, storage-integrated data protection that bypasses traditional backup server-based processes.
Make your databases more efficient, without tradeoffs
Database performance and availability are so critical that many organizations apply generous capacity and management resources to maintain needed service levels. HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage removes these inefficiencies, helping eliminate tradeoffs between capacity utilization, efficiency, and performance. For example, with HP 3PAR Thin Persistence Software and Oracle ASM Storage Reclamation Utility (ASRU), your Oracle databases stay thin by autonomically reclaiming stranded database capacity. And HP offers the cost-effective Oracle- and SQL-aware snapshot technologies, HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Oracle and HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for SQL. Low latency levels meet the requirements of response-time sensitive applications such as Oracle database and Microsoft Exchange.
Given the importance of Microsoft Exchange for mission-critical email communications, many organizations devote significant amounts of storage capacity and management resources to this essential application. HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage enables you to support a large number of mailboxes with a larger size limit while reducing cost per mailbox from dollars to cents. In addition, with HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Exchange, you can recover email messages quickly, affordably, and from multiple points in time.
Resilient—so you can consolidate with confidence
With a modern architecture that provides true convergence of block, file, and object access while helping eliminate single points of failure, HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage delivers Tier-1 resilience paired with secure administrative segregation of users, hosts, and application data. A unique set of data protection and security products power HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage in delivering high availability and resilience for multi-tenant cloud and ITaaS environments. Serve multiple user groups and applications from a single storage system with complete confidence that access to your data will not be compromised or interrupted. Ensure data protection at the array level, across the data center, and with a robust backup and recovery strategy.
Persistent technologies meet virtual datacenter demands
On HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage, Tier-1 resiliency is supported by persistent technologies unique to the platform:
- Persistent Cache: The use of Persistent Cache preserves service levels so they are not impacted by unplanned component failures—a key requirement for the virtual data center.
- Persistent Ports: A software feature allows non-disruptive upgrades to HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage systems, Persistent Ports means you don’t have to relying on multi-pathing software or failover initiation. This feature also automatically fails over a front-end controller node port that experiences physical connection loss due to a cable or switch failure in order to preserve service levels.
- Persistent Checksum: Ensures end-to-end data integrity, protecting against silent corruption from the host to the storage array.
- Peer Persistence: Federate storage across data centers, regardless of physical boundary constraints. Automated failover and failback between two sites or data centers is transparent to hosts, which keeps your VMware deployments seamlessly running even in the event of a disaster.
Secure multi-tenancy and data encryption support massive consolidation
Security concerns should not stand in your way when it comes to infrastructure consolidation. For this reason, HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage supports the security features you need, such as:
- Virtual Domains: Unlike the use of multiple storage systems or traditional array partitioning schemes that rely on the physical segregation of resources, HP 3PAR Virtual Domains uses a policy-based, logical implementation that preserves the benefits of distributing and sharing each application workload across all system resources. Virtual Domains is ideal for those who understand the benefits of consolidation but must enable secure, independent storage services to multiple administrators, applications, departments, and customers.
- Data-at-Rest Encryption: For environments that requires protection from unauthorized data access, encryption protects your data from both internal and external security breaches. HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage is fully FIPS 140–2 compliant, supports local and enterprise key managers that are FIPS certified and KMIP-compliant, and is available with encrypted FIPS 140–2 validated drives. These drives protect against unauthorized access, even if a drive is stolen, fails, or has to be retired.
- Virtual Lock: HP 3PAR Virtual Lock Software enables organizations to securely lock down storage volumes, allowing read access but preventing accidental or intentional deletion. When used in conjunction with reservationless, nonduplicative snapshots, Virtual Lock delivers an efficient approach to governance and legal discovery.
Deliver uncompromising QoS for your most demanding workloads
Achieve higher service levels for more users and applications with less infrastructure. When combined with Tier-1 resiliency, the multi-controller scalability and extreme flexibility built into HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage makes deploying and maintaining separate storage silos to deliver different QoS levels obsolete.
High and predictable levels of service for all workload types are assured through the massively parallel and fine-grained striping of data across all internal resources (disks, ports, loops, cache, processors, and more). With this massive and fine-grained approach, as use of the system grows—or in the event of a component failure—service conditions remain high and predictable.
With HP 3PAR Priority Optimization Software, you can reduce contention by limiting maximum performance or setting a minimum goal for IOPS and bandwidth for a specific application, tenant, or workload. It provides high-priority applications with all the resources they need to meet service levels. It enables certainty and predictability for all applications and tenants.
Unlike application-centric approaches to storage, one-click autonomic rebalancing on HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage enables you to help optimize QoS levels without service disruption, pre-planning, or the need to purchase separate arrays to support different service levels.
Futureproof - to support on-demand computing
Data center transformation to address on demand computing in an investment. Protect your investment and maximize its effectiveness both today and into the future with a storage solution that not only aids you with today’s data center refresh, but also ensures that your storage assets and infrastructure are always optimized for your workloads.
Refreshing your storage technology is effortless
With HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, you can refresh technology effortlessly by streamlining the movement of data from older systems and non-disruptively update storage without application impact. If you are looking to consolidate your HDS arrays, EMC Symmetrix VMAX, CLARiiON CX4, or VNX arrays, HP 3PAR Online Import Software make it easy for you.
Every HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage system comes with this software at no additional charge for 180 days—giving you painless, non-disruptive migration. And if you are currently an HP EVA Storage customer, you can use HP 3PAR Online Migration to import data from your EVA system onto your new HP 3PAR StoreServ array, providing you with a simple upgrade path.
Boost flash performance by 35 percent and reduce latency by 2.5X with 16 Gbps Fibre Channel
When replacing traditional HDD storage with hybrid or all-flash arrays to serve high performance workloads, it is critical to consider the role of your storage network and ensure that it isn’t acting as a bottleneck. For example, a typical OLTP workload can saturate 8 Gbps host Fibre Channel (FC) bandwidth without fully utilizing all of your compute or storage resources. To ensure you receive the anticipated returns on your flash investments, you may need to consider increasing your storage networking performance.
|HP 3PAR StoreServ 20800||HP 3PAR StoreServ 20850|
|Controller nodes||2, 4, 6, or 8|
|Cache||8.4 - 33.8 TiB||0.9 - 3.6 TiB|
|Maximum Host Ports||160 ports|
|Max. 10 Gb/s iSCSI/FCoE||0-80 Ports|
|Built-in IP remote copy port (can also use FC ports)||2-8 Ports|
|Drive enclosures||213 - 80 enclosures||213 - 48 enclosures|
|Host OS Support||
|Capacity||1.925 - 6000 TiB6||1.925 - 3932 TiB6|
|Dimensions and Weight|
(W x D x H)
|23.54 x 79 x 44.3 in||59.8 x 200.6 x 112.5 cm|
|Warranty - year(s) (parts/labor/onsite)||3/3/3|
HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage supports the same OS and software offerings as the other members of the HP 3PAR StoreServ family. As with all HP 3PAR StoreServ models, you have the opportunity to purchase software bundled into a series of suites designed to simplify purchasing and save you money. Selected software titles may also be purchased separately, as indicated below.
|Software suites for HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage|
|HP 3PAR Operating System Software Suite||Required for all new HP 3PAR StoreServ systems, this foundational software suite gives you everything you need to get up and running quickly and efficiently. This suite includes the HP 3PAR Operating System, HP 3PAR Management Console, HP 3PAR Host Explorer, and HP 3PAR SmartStart*—software designed to get you off to a quick start with your new HP 3PAR StoreServ system. It also includes all of the platform's thin software offerings—HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning, HP 3PAR Thin Conversion, and HP 3PAR Thin Persistence. Other highlights of this suite include HP 3PAR Full Copy, autonomic rebalancing capabilities that help you get optimal use out of future capacity expansions, and support for standard multipathing software for high availability in clustered environments. A 180-day license for online import is included to enable migration from HP EVA Storage.|
|HP 3PAR Replication Software Suite||This optional suite bundles HP 3PAR Virtual Copy with HP 3PAR Remote Copy software, both also sold separately for all HP 3PAR StoreServ models. Included in this bundle is Peer Persistence, which enables peer federation for VMware clusters to improve overall availability. Licensed based on system capacity.|
|HP 3PAR Data Optimization Software Suite||This optional software bundle combines HP 3PAR Dynamic Optimization, HP 3PAR Adaptive Optimization, HP 3PAR Peer Motion, and HP 3PAR Priority Optimization software so you can move data and workloads between arrays without impacting applications, users, or services. Licensed based on system capacity, the four software titles bundled in this suite are also sold separately for all HP 3PAR StoreServ models. Depending on purchase date, titles included in this suite may vary. For the 10000 models only, HP 3PAR Optimization Suite is available and includes Adaptive Optimization and Dynamic Optimization.|
|HP 3PAR Security Software Suite||This optional suite bundles HP 3PAR Virtual Domains and HP 3PAR Virtual Lock Software, both also sold separately for all HP 3PAR StoreServ models. With this suite, you can segregate access and deliver robust storage services for different applications and user groups with additional security attached to the retention of storage volumes. Licensed based on system capacity.|
|HP 3PAR Application Software Suite for VMware||Everything you need to make your VMware environment more agile and efficient—including HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for VMware, Host Explorer for VMware, VASA support, and three essential plug-ins: the VMware Site Replication Manager (SRM) Adapter, the HP 3PAR VAAI Plug-in, and the HP 3PAR Management Plug-in for VMware View. This suite is optional and licensed on a per-system basis.|
|HP 3PAR Application Software Suite for Hyper-V||Protect your Microsoft Hyper-V environment with HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Microsoft Hyper-V and the HP 3PAR VSS Provider software, included in this optional suite and licensed on a per-system basis.|
|HP 3PAR Application Software Suite for Exchange||This bundle gives you the essentials for use with Microsoft Exchange, including HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Exchange and the VSS Provider software. This suite is optional and licensed on a per-system basis.|
|HP 3PAR Application Software Suite for Oracle||Everything you need for protecting Oracle Databases, including HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Oracle and Oracle space reclamation capabilities, sold as an optional suite and licensed on a per-system basis.|
|HP 3PAR Application Software Suite for SQL||Protect Microsoft SQL DB with HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for Microsoft SQL and the HP 3PAR VSS Provider software, bundled with this optional suite and licensed on a per-system basis.|
|HP 3PAR Reporting Software Suite||Enhance system visibility and reporting capabilities with this optional suite, which includes HP 3PAR System Reporter software and the HP 3PARinfo application, licensed on a per-system basis.|
* HP 3PAR SmartStart is available for the 7200, 7400, and 20000 models only.
HP Technology Services:
Expert HP storage consultants and service professionals
We sit down with you and your team to map your storage needs. HP can not only help you accelerate implementation and reduce deployment risk, but also help you realize the full value of your storage purchases as you transform storage for the New Style of IT.
Advise, transform, and integrate
Navigate through the complexities of storage, backup, archive, disaster recovery, and Big Data with advisory, transformation, and integration consulting.
Deploy and implement
Access expertise to support deployment, operations, relocation, sanitization, and disposal, plus improvement-focused education.
Operate and support
Find the level of personalized, proactive, and simplified support right for your business.
Note: Specific service availability varies by product
HP Foundation Care
System-level IT hardware and software support delivers flexible coverage window and response time for more choice and simplicity.
HP Proactive Care
Combined reactive and proactive services provide easy-to-purchase, cost-efficient system-level support coupled with personalized expert advice and products connected to HP to help prevent problems and reduce downtime.
HP Proactive Care Advanced
Builds and incorporates on Proactive Care and also gives customers personalized technical and operational advice from an assigned, local account support manager for personalized technical collaboration, flexible access to specialist skills to help optimize business-critical IT, and enhanced Critical Incident Management to help so the business is not affected if there is a system or device outage.
HP Datacenter Care
Get the support you need to deploy, operate, and evolve your data center environment to be hybrid-cloud ready with single-point-of-accountability for HP and others’ product.
Get connected and get back to business—HP Storage Technology Services provide the path to get your HP Storage solutions and your business connected to HP. Once connected, our experts are able to scan your system and run health checks, then use that data to create personalized reports, and recommendations for actions to take to prevent problems and downtime.
Download the HP 3PAR StoreServ 20000 Storage Datasheet (PDF).