HP 8/20q Fibre Channel Switch
HP H-series Fibre Channel Switch Portfolio
Please visit our HPE's Servers & Storage site for the latest HPE's storage products
HP simplifies SANs by combining 8 Gb/s Fibre Channel performance with a complete SAN management system. Your future is protected today with an infrastructure capable of supporting emerging technologies at today's 4 Gb/s prices. The HP 8Gb SAN Connection software makes installing your first SAN (or your hundredth) easy.
An entire SAN may now be deployed in minutes. SAN novices and seasoned experts will appreciate the simplicity and power of the included SAN Connection Manager (SCM) software.
HP 8/20q Fibre Channel Switch and 8Gb Simple SAN Connection Kit are designed to make small, affordable SANs with medium growth potential. With low-cost high performance in mind, each 8/20q switch features 20 device ports supporting 8/4/2 Gbps speeds. The 8/20q switch also includes SCM enterprise software for "single pane of glass" installation, provisioning, and management. Begin with eight or 16 enabled device ports for a truly affordable solution, and then upgrade to 20 ports via 4-port upgrade licenses. The 8Gb Simple SAN Connection Kit combines the performance and value of the 8/20q Fibre Channel Switch with four HP 81Q PCIe FC HBAs, six 8 Gb SPF+ Fibre Channel optics, six Fibre Channel cables, and HP SCM enterprise software to provide all the SAN infrastructure and software for a 4-host SAN.
HP H-series Switches
The HP H-series Fibre Channel switch portfolio makes installing your first SAN (or your hundredth) easy. An entire SAN may now be deployed in minutes. SAN novices and seasoned experts alike, whether installing the 8/20q or SN6000 switch, will appreciate the simplicity and power of the included SCM enterprise software. SCM works seamlessly with HP HBAs, HP Enterprise Virtual Array, and HP Modular Storage Array (MSA) to handle common crossplatform management and maintenance tasks quickly. In addition, all HP H-series switches include Adaptive Trunking technology to keep communications between switches in constant balance. Adaptive Trunking eliminates the need for the expensive trunking licenses that are required with other FC switch solutions.
Features and Benefits:
Today's Performance at Yesterday's Prices
- The future is within your reach today with state-of-the-art 8 Gb/s Fibre Channel technology offering the bandwidth today that you will need for support of emerging technologies. 8 Gb/s speed extends the useful life of your purchase. Migrate at your own pace.
- Powerful features such as Adaptive Trunking (optimizes fabric speed), drag-and-drop zoning, I/O StreamGuard (uninterrupted dataflow), automatic firmware notifications and downloads and non-disruptive upgrades give you the winning edge and help you get the most out of your SAN.
- No need to master separate interfaces to control HP switches, HBAs and storage. Configure, create LUNs and monitor them all from a convenient integrated single management interface.
- Up to 340 Gbps aggregate performance in a single switch.
Simplicity at its Finest
- Setting up your first SAN is now fast, easy and fool-proof. Eliminate the risk of expensive configuration errors with point-and-click wizards. Ensure full optimization and “best practices” with minimal training and expertise.
- Application-based wizard enables your SAN to be quickly and easily provisioned based on published best practices. Included is a Microsoft Exchange wizard sized for a variety of typical configurations as well as a custom template to create your own for fast deployment of other applications.
- The 8/20q 8-port switch is HP’s lowest priced full fabric Fibre Channel switch. Your first SAN couldn't be a better value. The 8 Gb Simple SAN Connection Kit includes everything required for a 4-host SAN infrastructure, including 8 Gb HBAs, cables and SFPs--just add your choice of HP storage!
- Enterprise Fabric Management Suite (EFMS) delivers a comprehensive set of powerful, yet affordable, SAN fabric management tools for administrators to maximize application and storage performance and availability.
- SAN Connection Manager Software (SCM), included with H-series, lets you deploy SAN infrastructure (SN6000, EVA/MSA, HBAs) and provision storage from a single screen. Enterprise Fabric Management Suite Software delivers affordable SAN management tools such as performance monitoring and more.
Built with the Future in Mind
- Start with an 8-port switch and as your needs change; simply expand via four-port license keys up to 20 ports per chassis. Then link additional switches to create a larger high-performance enterprise SAN of any topology.
- Although the 8Gb Simple SAN Connection portfolio delivers 8 Gbps performance capabilities and a cross-platform GUI, it is priced competitively with 4 Gbps switches. On a “cost per throughput” basis, its aggregate platform bandwidth of 340 Gbps makes it the price/performance leader in the market.
- Whether your needs involve email/database scalability, server/storage consolidation or automated backup/disaster recovery, an HP 8/20q Fibre Channel Switch can provide accelerated ROI for your company.
- Inexpensively add a new department or remote SAN and seamlessly connect to existing HP B and C-series fabrics using Transparent Router (TR). TR eliminates the management challenges of interoperability and merged fabrics, allowing sharing of HP resources between separate SANs.
|HP 8/20q Fibre Channel Switch|
|Fibre Channel ports||8 Gb/s Fibre Channel|
|Number of ports||
|Aggregate switch bandwidth||340 Gbps|
|Protocol support||Fibre Channel|
|HBA support||(4) HP 81Q HBAs included in kit; support for HP (QLogic, Emulex, Brocade) 4 Gb and 8 Gb; PCIe and PCI-X HBAs and mezzanine cards|
|Servers supported||HP BladeSystem c-Class; HP ProLiant ML, DL, and SL; and HP Integrity|
|Media types||8 Gbps Small Form-Factor Pluggable+ (SFP+) and 4 Gbps Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optical transceivers|
|Upgradability||4-port upgrade license|
|Models available||8- and 16-port active FC switch, bundle|
|Availability features||Hot-swappable 8Gb SFP+ optical interface modules, Non-Disruptive Code Load and Activation (NDCLA), Non-Disruptive Port License Activation, two switches for redundancy|
|Management features||SAN Connection Manager software, QuickTools, Command Line Interface, Enterprise Fabric Management Suite (EFMS), HP Systems Insight Manager, SMI-S v1.1 provider, SNMP, GS-4 Management Server (including FDMI), FTP, TFTP, RADIUS|
|Software (required)||Recommend SAN Connection Manager for SAN management (switches, HBAs, storage)|
|Software (optional)||Enterprise Fabric Management Suite (EFMS)|
|Dimensions and Weight|
(W x D x H)
|23.44 x 8.44 x26.19 in|
|Differentiator||8-ports enabled 8 Gb Fibre Channel switch, no SFPs included RoHS2 Compliant|
|Warranty - year(s) (parts/labor/onsite)||1/1/1|
|What's in the box||8/20q Fibre Channel Switch with 8 active ports, rack-mount kit, SAN Connection Manager software and CD, PDU power cord, country-specific power cord, serial cable, license, docs|
HP Technology Services:
When you buy H-series switches, the HP P2000 G3 FC MSA Dual Controller Small Business SAN Starter Kit, or the 8Gb Simple SAN Connection Kit, it's also a good time to think about what level of service and support you may need. To help take the worry out of deploying and managing your environment, we've designed a portfolio of service options that are as flexible, scalable, and affordable as your storage.
- 3-year HP Support Plus 24 Service
Provides integrated hardware and software support services designed specifically for your technology. HP Services engineers deliver reactive onsite hardware support and over-the-phone software support around the clock.
- HP SAN Solution Service
A scalable service providing specialized expertise in storage area network planning and configuration. Service helps ensure that your SAN is configured for high performance and availability and is integrated with your applications, management environment, and business.
- 3-year HP Proactive 24 (P24) for SANs
Offers an integrated hardware and software support solution designed to help you resolve interoperability issues in your SAN environment.
- HP Assessment for SANs Service
Offers customized technical and operational guidance to customers with a deployed SAN infrastructure, and provides recommendations to help improve availability levels and ongoing management of your SAN environment.
- HP Critical Service (CS)
HP CS is a comprehensive support solution designed for businesses that run mission-critical applications where any downtime causes a significant business impact.
Download the HP H-series Fibre Channel Switch Portfolio Datasheet (PDF).